Kennedy Center awards to go on without Trump

LL Cool J
FILE - In this Nov. 3, 2014 file photo, rapper/actor LL Cool J watches the Los Angeles Clippers play the Utah Jazz during the first half of an NBA basketball game, in Los Angeles. The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced the recipients of the 2017 Kennedy Center Honors. They are: hip-hop artist LL Cool J, singers Gloria Estefan and Lionel Richie, television writer and producer Norman Lear and dancer Carmen de Lavallade. It’s the 40th year of the awards, which honor people who have influenced American culture through the arts. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Latest on President Donald Trump’s decision not to participate in the Kennedy Center arts awards (all times local):

9:45 a.m.

The Kennedy Center arts awards program will go on.

Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein and President Deborah Rutter say in a statement that they respect President Donald Trump’s decision to cancel a traditional White House reception for the five honorees. The White House reception had been scheduled for Dec. 3.

Rubenstein and Rutter say a State Department reception and awards dinner on Dec. 2 and the Honors Gala on Dec. 3 will continue as planned.

They say the five honorees – Carmen de Lavallade, Gloria Estefan, LL COOL J, Norman Lear and Lionel Richie – are expected to attend both events. Several of the honorees had said they would not attend a White House reception presided over by Trump.

___

8 a.m.

The White House has announced that President Donald Trump and the first lady have decided not to participate in events honoring recipients of this year’s Kennedy Center arts awards.

The statement says the decision to break with tradition was made to “allow the honorees to celebrate without any political distraction.”

Past presidents and first ladies have hosted a reception for honorees at the White House before the Kennedy Center gala and sat with them at the televised event.

The decision comes a day after the entire membership of the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities resigned to protest Trump’s comments about last weekend’s violence in Charlottesville, Virginia.

But Trump has long had a contentious relationship with the arts world and some of the Kennedy Center honorees already had said they would not attend the White House reception in December.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s