GETTYSBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – Firefighters were called to the Gettysburg College campus Thursday afternoon after demolition work started a fire at the College Union Building.
The college said a spark from a welding torch ignited debris around 12:20 p.m. The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes.
The CUB was evacuated and employees who work there were later told to go home for the day. The building will be ventilated to ensure a safe environment before the workers return.
Unless CUB employees hear otherwise, they should report to work on Friday, the college said.
No one was injured.
The pool end of the CUB is being demolished to make way for a new dining space, according to the college’s website.