Update: Cigarette blamed for fire that damaged 2 York homes

Courtesy: York City Department of Fire/Rescue Services

YORK, Pa. (WHTM) – Investigators say a carelessly discarded cigarette started a fire Saturday afternoon that damaged two homes in York.

The fire broke out around 3 p.m. on the 300 block of East Maple Street.

Eight people were displaced but were able to get out of the homes safely.

Firefighters also rescued two dogs. A litter of six puppies, however, did not survive.

One firefighter was taken to a hospital for an injured knee. Dispatchers said the firefighter fell outside of the homes.

The fire caused roughly $140,000 in damage. The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist those displaced.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s