Girl, 10, dies after Harrisburg house fire blamed on hoverboard

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – A 10-year-old girl who was critically injured in a fire blamed on a charging hoverboard has died at a hospital.

A spokeswoman at the Lehigh Valley Medical Center in Allentown confirmed the death of Savannah Dominick.

Ashanti Hughes, a toddler who was trapped inside the home in the 2500 block of Lexington Street, died at the medical center on Saturday.

A 3-year-old girl, Emoni Jackson, was released from Penn State Hershey Medical Center on Wednesday.

Harrisburg Fire Chief Brian Enterline said a hoverboard was charging near the front door when people inside the home heard it crackling and it started smoking. He said the resulting fire blocked the way to the front door.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating. It’s looked into more than 60 fires caused by hoverboard batteries in the U.S.. The deaths resulting from the Harrisburg fire are the first fatalities.

The federal agency has not identified the brand, and it has not said whether the hoverboard is one of dozens that have been recalled.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s