HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – Congressman Lou Barletta says he’s decided to remain in Congress and withdraw from consideration for Secretary of Labor.
President-elect Donald Trump had discussed the labor secretary job with Barletta during a meeting in Trump Tower in New York City last month.
Barletta said in a statement Thursday that it was a tremendous honor to be considered for a place Trump’s administration, but he withdrew from consideration after “much thought, prayer, and discussion” with his family and close friends.
“Because of my involvement in the president-elect’s campaign and my relationship with the incoming administration, I will have an opportunity in the House of Representatives to accomplish more on a variety of issues that I have cared about for so long, including immigration policy, transportation infrastructure, and jobs,” he said in the statement. “Having helped the campaign with the development of those policies, coupled with serving on key committees in Congress and having a direct pipeline to the White House, I will be better positioned than ever to serve the people of the 11th District.”
Barletta’s central Pennsylvania district includes parts of Dauphin, Perry and Cumberland counties.
Trump is expected to name fast-food executive Andy Puzder as labor secretary, according to published reports.