Everyone has that relative – the one who always starts the political debates at family functions, which usually end in raised voices and confusion over what the initial disagreement was even about. After an emotionally-charged presidential election, how do you handle political discussions at the Thanksgiving table this year? Do you avoid them altogether, or is that a bigger mistake? In the latest episode of On Deadline, Dennis Owens, Kendra Nichols, and Amanda St. Hilaire discuss navigating familial political waters. They also dissect statistics about the gender pay gap. Do the numbers tell the whole story, or are they taken out of context? Plus, no fun but plenty of political games at Pennsylvania’s State Capitol, leading to hundreds of layoffs right before Christmas.
Here are some links and references from this week’s episode:
- “Report: Men in nursing make more than women”
- “The $16,819 Pay Gap for Newly Trained Physicians.”
- “Myth Busting the Pay Gap”
- “Gender Pay Gap: Recent Trends and Explanations”
- “PolitiFact Sheet: The Gender Pay Gap”
- “State lays off 450 before Christmas, perhaps 150 more; politics blamed”