Pittsburgh Symphony strike drags on

piano_01022015

PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra’s management and musicians union have agreed to a media blackout as they try to end to a musician’s strike that began Sept. 30.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette learned of the blackout while contacting both sides Tuesday to determine whether any more concerts will be canceled. The orchestra has already canceled performances through Nov. 18 because of the strike and management had previously said additional cancellations would be announced Tuesday.

However, no new cancellations were announced. Both sides said only that negotiations were continuing.

Management has sought a 15-percent wage cut, plus pension concessions it says are necessary to keep the symphony solvent in the face of more than $20 million in debt over the next five years.

The union has said management is overstating the financial problems.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s