Cosby loses latest effort to get charges thrown out

Bill Cosby
FILE - In this Nov. 6, 2014 file photo, entertainer Bill Cosby pauses during a news conference. Cosby’s lawyers were expected to file a response Friday, Nov. 13, 2015, to a defamation lawsuit filed last year in federal court in Massachusetts. Instead, a lawyer for three women already named as plaintiffs in the lawsuit filed a notice in court saying four new plaintiffs will be added. The amended suit is expected to be filed later Friday. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Bill Cosby has lost his latest effort to have criminal sex-assault charges thrown out on appeal in Pennsylvania.

Cosby’s lawyers argue that accuser Andrea Constand should have testified at a preliminary trial so they could confront his accuser.

Pennsylvania law allows prosecutors to use hearsay testimony from police at pretrial hearings, and the state Superior Court on Wednesday denied Cosby’s appeal.

But defense lawyer Brian McMonagle says he hopes to join a related appeal being heard by the state Supreme Court.

Cosby is set for trial in June in suburban Philadelphia on charges he drugged and molested Constand in 2004. He has pleaded not guilty.

The Associated Press does not usually identify people who say they are the victims of sexual assault, but Constand’s lawyer has said her name can be used.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download the ABC27 News App and the ABC27 Weather App for your phone and tablet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s