The Mennonite presence in eastern Cumberland County had its roots in 1791 with the arrival of John Eberly. John Eberly moved from Lancaster County and settled on a farm about seven miles west of the Susquehanna River along the main road leading from Harrisburg to Carlisle.
During the next two decades other Mennonite families moved from Lancaster County, so that by 1816 early records show there were a number of families in this new area.
Slate Hill Mennonite Church is hosting a community Bicentennial Celebration to commemorate the building of the first church structure of 1816 near where a new church and current Fellowship Hall stand.
To learn more, please call 717-737-8150.