Cosby can’t attend accuser’s deposition in defamation suit

FILE - In this May 24, 2016 file photo, Bill Cosby departs the Montgomery County Courthouse after a preliminary hearing, in Norristown, Pa. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – A federal judge in Philadelphia has barred Bill Cosby from attending the deposition his accuser gives in her defamation suit against a former district attorney.

But the judge says Cosby’s lawyers can review the deposition afterward to be sure Andrea Constand didn’t violate the confidential settlement of her 2005 lawsuit against Cosby.

The 79-year-old Cosby is awaiting trial in June over charges he drugged and molested Constand in 2004.

She has since sued the prosecutor who declined to prosecute Cosby at the time. Constand says Bruce Castor defamed her when he said that Constand had changed her story over time.

U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno also ruled Monday that Cosby can’t participate in the deposition of Castor’s then-deputy. She reopened the case last year amid new evidence.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download the ABC27 News App and the ABC27 Weather App for your phone and tablet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s