Machete-wielding attacker in Belgium slashes faces of two female officers

Photo courtesy: Getty

CHARLEROI, Belgium (AP) – Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel says “preliminary indications” suggest the attack against two female officers in the city Charleroi was an act of terrorism, but that authorities are still collecting information.

Police say the attacker who was wielding a machete shouted “Allahu Akhbar” during the attack. The assailant was shot by a third officer and later died of his wounds,.

The attack Saturday took place at a wooden hut that had been erected outside the Charleroi police station to provide an additional layer of security.

Authorities say one of the two police officers, both of whom were described as experienced, received several deep slashing cuts to the face. The other was slightly wounded. Both officers are now “out of danger.”

Paul Magnette, mayor of the city in southern Belgium, says the checkpoint succeeded in preventing the attacker from reaching the building and causing more havoc.

Belgium has been on a high state of alert since the attacks in Paris on Nov. 13 that killed 130 victims. Many of the attackers, who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, lived in Belgium.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s