Director: Zoo safe despite shooting of gorilla to save boy

Zoo visitors look at protestors and mourners from a walk bridge during a vigil for the gorilla Harambe outside the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, Monday, May 30, 2016, in Cincinnati. Harambe was killed Saturday at the Cincinnati Zoo after a 4-year-old boy slipped into an exhibit and a special zoo response team concluded his life was in danger. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

CINCINNATI (AP) – The Ohio zoo where a gorilla was fatally shot to protect a 4-year-old boy who entered its exhibit says the zoo remains safe for the 1.6 million people who visit each year.

Cincinnati Zoo Director Thane Maynard says a review is underway to determine possible improvements.

The zoo says the Saturday incident was the first spectator breach at Gorilla World since it opened in 1978. Maynard says expansion plans announced for the exhibit earlier this year would proceed as scheduled.

He says Gorilla World could reopen next weekend.

The male gorilla named Harambe was killed by a special zoo response team that feared for the boy’s safety. Video taken by visitors show the gorilla at times appeared protective of the boy but also dragged him through the shallow moat.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s