As the days get longer and people spend more time outdoors you may have already gotten your first mosquito bite. On today’s first aid Friday, we’ll learn about some of the big-name diseases these pesky bloodsuckers may carry and how you can prevent you and your family from being a tasty snack.
“The EPA has registered insect repellents that have proven effective against mosquitos; you can visit epa.gov and search their list of insect repellents to see if yours is effective. I was surprised to see citronella candles actually aren’t rated to be that effective, they tend to have too limited of a reach to be effective,” tells Nathan.
Other tips include:
- Use insect repellent when outdoors
- Wear long sleeves if weather permits
- Take extra care during peak biting hours (dusk to dawn)
- Install/Repair screens in windows to keep mosquitos out
- Empty any standing water
- Report dead birds to local authorities
For addition info, visit the Cumberland Goodwill EMS website or call 717-249-0012.