Did you know that many picnic baskets in the United Kingdom often include Scotch Eggs? That’s cause they’re an easy and tasty go-along. Our version of Scotch Eggs, made with ground beef instead of sausage, are a great variation that can be enjoyed anytime. (Don’t forget the mustard sauce!)
What You’ll Need:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine beef, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape mixture into 4 patties.
3. Place a hard-boiled egg on each patty and carefully shape the meat around the egg. Pinch the seams together, making sure to seal all edges.
4. Place beaten egg in bowl, flour in another bowl, and bread crumbs in a third bowl. Roll each meat-wrapped egg in flour, then in egg, and finally in bread crumbs.
5. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil; brown all sides of scotch egg, about 1 minute per side. Place on baking sheet.
6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until crispy. Cut each scotch egg in half and serve.
© 2016 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.