AG: Carlisle anesthesiologist overdosed between surgeries

Gregory G. Theodore

CARLISLE, Pa. (WHTM) – A Carlisle anesthesiologist is facing criminal charges after authorities say he was found unconscious from a drug overdose when he was supposed to be in an operating room.

Gregory G. Theodore, 61, used a syringe to inject Demerol, a pain medication he used for surgeries, in a locker room at Carlisle Regional Medical Center in June, according to a criminal complaint filed by the state attorney general’s office.

A doctor who found Theodore told investigators he was waiting to start a case in the operating room and checked the locker area after the anesthesiologist did not answer several pages. He found Theodore unconscious on a toilet, leaning against a wall, with the syringe lying on his thigh, the complaint states.

Theodore was treated in the emergency room where investigators said he admitted to a doctor that he had used Demerol after a surgery earlier in the evening. He told the E.R. doctor he had been using the drug for the past four years.

Authorities said Theodore did not have a prescription for Demerol.

Theodore was arrested Tuesday for two felony offenses of the Controlled Substances Act and misdemeanor counts of possession with intent to deliver and theft by unlawful taking.

He was committed to Cumberland County Prison on $50,000 cash bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled April 21.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download the ABC 27 News App and the ABC 27 Weather App for your phone or tablet.

2 thoughts on “AG: Carlisle anesthesiologist overdosed between surgeries

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s