PENBROOK, Pa. (WHTM) – Three residents and two firefighters were sent to hospitals Friday morning after a duplex fire that was started by a teenager, police said.
Penbrook police said the fire in the 2400 block of Canby Street has been ruled an arson. They said a 15-year-old with special needs was playing with a cigarette lighter in a second-floor bedroom at 2444 Canby.
Officers are reviewing the case with the district attorney’s office to determine if any charges will be filed.
Two adults who lived at 2444 Canby were treated for smoke inhalation and one sustained burns.
A resident of the other half of the duplex, at 2442 Canby, complained of chest pain. The firefighters sustained minor injuries while battling the flames.
All those injured were treated at the hospital and released.
Penbrook Mayor Kenneth Cramer said the duplex was fully involved when firefighters arrived around 4:45 a.m. He said both homes were heavily damaged.
Five people lived at 2444 Canby and three lived at 2442 Canby. Both families are displaced. The American Red Cross is assisting them.
Cramer said 50-70 firefighters from 10 companies were on the scene.
A dog and rabbit escaped unharmed, but a cat was missing.