The Harrisburg Bureau of Fire and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) have offered tips on how to safely warm your home this winter season.
According to the NFPA, half of home heating fire deaths resulted from flammable items being too close to heating equipment.
Here’s what fire officials recommend:
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or other space heater
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters
- Never use your oven, stove top, or other cooking appliance to heat your home
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room and burn only dry, seasoned wood. Allow ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container, which is kept a safe distance from the home
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
- Never use a propane tank indoors
- Never attempt to thaw frozen water pipes with a blow torch or open flame. Pipes can conduct heat and ignite the wall or other surrounding materials
For more tips and tricks, click here.