Just because it’s snowing outside and all of your favorite holiday foods seem to be following you everywhere you go, it doesn’t mean you can’t keep active and stay healthy throughout the season.
Micheal Bosak of PinnacleHealth joined us with some tips on keeping our hearts healthy this coming holiday season.
Think about how you eat:
- Select and savor festive foods
- Plan ahead – overeating is spontaneous, not planned. Make a strategy to focus on fresh food choices. Stand away from the buffet.
- Do not skip meals beforehand
- Offer to contribute to the meal preparation and choose to make a healthy option
- Watch your salt and alcohol intake
- Use the buddy system and split dessert
The American Heart Association recommends thirty minutes a day, five times a week*. You will also experience benefits even if you divide your time into two or three segments of 10 to 15 minutes per day so that may make it easier with a busy schedule.
You can also get exercise* by:
- Going sledding
- Shoveling snow
- Taking a walk to see the neighborhood light displays
- Parking far away from building entrances
- Taking the stairs
For more information on how to keep active and eat right over the holidays, visit PinnacleHealth.org/Heart.