UGI urges residents to be vigilant of carbon monoxide dangers

(WHTM) – Recent reports of carbon monoxide incidents have prompted UGI to remind its customers of basic steps to ensure their home and workplace safety.

Carbon monoxide can be fatal. The poisonous gas cannot be seen or smelled. It is produced by the incomplete burning of fuels such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, natural gas and propane.

In a news release sent out Monday, UGI outlined steps for prevention.

• Ensure that natural gas appliances are properly maintained. A malfunctioning furnace, boiler, water heater or stove can emit carbon monoxide into a home. In addition, restricted or damaged ventilation or exhaust equipment, including a blocked chimney, can produce high levels of CO.

• Customers are urged to ensure that both internal and external vents are free from obstructions such as clothing and furniture inside; and dirt, leaves and debris outside.

• Customers should ensure that equipment rooms or utility spaces are properly sized and provide appropriate levels of ventilation and air circulation around heating equipment and appliances to ensure safe operation. Enclosing furnaces and water heaters in small rooms during remodeling or renovation can reduce air flow and create a potentially unsafe situation.

Physical signs of Carbon monoxide within a home include:

• Condensation on walls and windows
• House plants dying
• House pets becoming sluggish
• Chronic odors from a malfunctioning appliance
• Residents in the home suffering flu-like symptoms or feeling unusually tired

Physical signs within a home that an appliance may be malfunctioning and producing CO include:

• Condensation on walls and windows
• House plants dying
• House pets becoming sluggish
• Chronic odors from a malfunctioning appliance
• Residents in the home suffering flu-like symptoms or feeling unusually tired.

If experiencing symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately seek fresh air and immediate medical attention.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s