CAMP HILL, Pa. (WHTM) – Several roads were closed and homes in a two-block area were evacuated for about two hours Friday after a natural gas leak in Lower Allen Township.
Township police said a UGI subcontractor struck a “stub out” off the main gas line on St. Johns Road at Cedar Avenue at around 12:30 p.m.
The crew was replacing a valve at the time of the accident. Police said there was no valve to stop the gas, so a UGI crew responded to close the leak.
The leak was stopped shortly before 1:30 p.m.
PPL cut power to the neighborhood at UGI’s request for about an hour. Officials told ABC 27 News the electricity was shut off because at one point it appeared a gas plume was directly over Route 15.
Hartzdale Drive between St. Johns and Lower Allen Drive, Cedar at Primrose Avenue, St. Johns at Utley Drive, and Glennwood Avenue at Primrose were all closed.
All residents were allowed to return to their homes and all roads were reopened at around 2:45 p.m.