(serves 6-8 people)
- 1 box Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes, prepared as instructed on box
- ¼ cup Madeira, optional
- 3 links of Italian sweet sausage (without fennel)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- ¼ cup onion (medium diced)
- ¼ cup celery (medium diced)
- ¼ cup carrots (medium diced)
- 1 green apple (medium diced)
- 6 sage leaves, chiffonade cut
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, rough chop
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 20 – 25 chestnuts, roasted peeled and quartered, or use pre-shelled chestnuts.
- Preheat your oven to 425⁰
- Make one box of Franco’s Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes as per instructions on back of the box. If using the Madeira, use ¼ cup less milk and substitute it with the wine.
- Remove the sausage from its casing and crumble. Brown off quickly in a hot skillet with olive oil and butter. Reserve some to place on top before baking.
- Mix onion, celery, carrots, apple, sage, parsley, cranberries and chestnuts, along with the crumbled sausage to the batter and pour into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved sausage on top and drizzle the top lightly with some olive oil or dot with some small pats of butter.
- Place on the center rack of your oven and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- To test, the center of the stuffing should be just set and the edges should be browned and bubbling slightly.
Tip: Do not overbake this stuffing; it should be just set and still moist.
Click here to see Chef Lania’s prepare this dish on Good Day PA: Full segment
Click here for more of Chef Lania’s recipes with Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cake: More Recipes