Enjoy this recipe for Posole, a pork and hominy stew, from Midst8 Taco at the West Shore Farmer’s Market.
3 lb. bone-in pork butt, left whole
Oregano (preferably Mexican)
1 bag dried hominy
1 carrot, peeled and cut in half
1 half yellow onion
For the broth
5 chile arbol, seeded and destemmed
10 chile guajillo
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 whole yellow onion, peeled and studded with cloves
6 black peppercorns, wrapped in cheesecloth
1 pinch oregano
1 bay leaf
finely chopped fresh jalapeños
fresh cilantro sprigs
finely diced onions
1. Start by seasoning the pork well with sea salt. Place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the pork up to a simmer and skim any debris that comes to the surface. When the stock is clean, season the water with salt and oregano. Cook until the pork becomes tender and can be shredded with a fork (about three hours), adding water as needed to keep the pork submerged. When ready, shred the pork and chop coarsely. Strain the liquid and set aside.
2. While the pork is cooking, rinse the hominy and put it in a pot with abundant room to cook as it will double in size. Fill the pot with cold water and bring to a simmer, add the vegetables and cook until the corn “blossoms” and becomes tender, about two and a half hours.
3. While the pork and corn cook, put the cleaned chilies in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, turn off and allow the chilies to steep until they are tender. Put the rehydrated chiles in a blender, add enough water to allow them to move and purée until smooth. Using a ladle, pass the purée through a strainer to remove any filaments. Set aside.
4. To finish, return the broth to the stove. Bring it to a simmer and add the pork to the broth. Add the chile purée and stir gently to combine. Taste the broth and correct seasonings as needed. Add the hominy and cook until the flavor so come together, adding water as needed to maintain proper consistency.
5. Serve the posole with a platter of the vegetable garnish so that each person can garnish their stew as desired.