For anyone who isn’t German, this is a recipe for a beef roll-up covered in gravy and stuffed with an honest-to-goodness delicious mixture of onions, pickles, and bacon. To our German friends, this is a simple, traditional German Rouladen recipe!
What You’ll Need:
12 thin slices top round beef
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
3/4 cup finely chopped onion, divided
3/4 cup finely chopped bread and butter pickles, divided
1/2 pound raw bacon, diced, divided
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water
What To Do:
1. Lay beef slices on a flat surface; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
2. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon each of onion, pickles, and bacon on each slice of beef. Roll up meat tightly and secure each with a toothpick.
3. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Place meat rolls in pot and saute until browned on all sides. Add remaining onion, pickles, and bacon to pot. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 50 to 55 minutes, or until beef is fork-tender.
4. Remove beef to a platter and remove toothpicks. Cover and set aside.
5. In a small bowl, whisk flour and water. Pour mixture into pot and stir constantly until thickened. Stir in remaining salt and pepper. Pour gravy over beef and serve immediately.
© 2015 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.