Official: Small fire at seminary hosting pope quickly out

Pope Francis' Fiat is parked between two large SUVs as he arrives at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, in Wynnewood, Pa. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Church officials say a small fire overnight at the seminary where Pope Francis was staying was quickly extinguished and caused no injuries.

Archdiocese of Philadelphia spokesman Ken Gavin said Sunday that the fire shortly before 11 p.m. Saturday “stemmed from a wiring issue in an elevator shaft in the kitchen” of the St. Charles Borromeo seminary just outside Philadelphia.

Gavin said “There was no need for evacuation and the Holy Father was not in any danger.”

It wasn’t immediately clear how close the kitchen is to the converted dormitory where the pope was staying.

Two local fire companies declined to say whether they responded, saying no official authorized to comment was available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s