PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Church officials say a small fire overnight at the seminary where Pope Francis was staying was quickly extinguished and caused no injuries.
Archdiocese of Philadelphia spokesman Ken Gavin said Sunday that the fire shortly before 11 p.m. Saturday “stemmed from a wiring issue in an elevator shaft in the kitchen” of the St. Charles Borromeo seminary just outside Philadelphia.
Gavin said “There was no need for evacuation and the Holy Father was not in any danger.”
It wasn’t immediately clear how close the kitchen is to the converted dormitory where the pope was staying.
Two local fire companies declined to say whether they responded, saying no official authorized to comment was available.