Mother of I-81 murder victim relieved by suspect’s arrest

Timothy Davison
Timothy Davison

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – The mother of a Maine man murdered along Interstate 81 in Franklin County in 2014 said the investigation proved what she has known from the very beginning: that her son was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Theresa Allocca told ABC 27 News her family never gave up hope that police would find her son’s killer.

“I never doubted it,” Allocca said. “I just knew in my heart it was going to happen.”

John Wayne Strawser Jr. (Franklin County District Attorney's Office)
John Wayne Strawser Jr. (Franklin County District Attorney’s Office)

State police on Monday charged a West Virginia man, 38-year-old John Wayne Strawser Jr., in the murder of Allocca’s son, Timothy “Asti” Davison. Police believe Strawser was targeting someone else when he shot and killed the 28-year-old Davison near Greencastle, three miles north of the Maryland line.

“We kind of had an idea, an inkling, that certain things were happening because a lot of times we were the ones that sent them the tips,” Allocca said of the arrest. “But we needed to be patient so they would get all their ducks in a row. We certainly don’t want to go to court and have the case fall apart. So, we knew it was coming.”

Now that police have a suspect, Allocca has mixed emotions.

“We’re feeling relieved that the person is off the streets, in jail, we know who did it,” she said. “At the same time that – why are we even in this situation, and a little bit angry that it took some people a year and a half to come forward and talk about what they knew or suspected.”

Police said the tip that led them to Strawser came from a couple he’s accused of targeting that night. They said Strawser may have mistaken Davison’s silver Mitsubishi Montero for their silver Honda Pilot.

Allocca said she misses her son just as much as she did the day he was killed.

“Just every day stuff – I need someone to help me move something and normally I’d pick up the phone and call, and he’s not there,” she said. “There’s just a void. It’s been difficult for everyone in the family.”

Allocca said she’s thankful for the hundreds of tips and the police who worked on the case for 20 months.

“A special thank you to the PSP that just didn’t give up,” she said, “but a special thank you just to the mom and pops and everyone who was on the Facebook page, sharing and putting up posters.”

Allocca is relieved, and she hopes others are, too.

“I hope the community can heal after this now that they know they have this guy,” she said. “I hope they can go back to feeling safe in the community.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s