Today nutritionist Sarah Glunz from Giant Food Stores reminded us that apples are a quick healthy snack throughout the day! We also found out which apples are best when cooking and baking!
According to Glunz:
- Golden and Red Delicious, Pink Lady, Gala, Fuji, Braeburn, and Jazz apples are perfect for fresh eating or salads
- Try Granny Smith or Braeburn apples for baking
- Making applesauce? Try Golden Delicious or Braeburn
- Apples store well, so they are usually available past the harvest season
In terms of nutritional value:
- One medium apple (3 inches in diameter) provides 80 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium, 22 grams of carbohydrate, 5 grams of fiber and a trace of protein
- Apples contain soluble fiber which may help lower blood cholesterol and insoluble fiber which helps digestion. You can meet one-fifth of your daily fiber goal with just one apple.
- Also, low fat diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancers.
Click here for the recipe for Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake.
Click here for more recipes and quick healthy tips: www.giantfoodstores.com