Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake
By: GIANT Food Stores
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Additional ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine the nuts, cinnamon and ½ cup granulated sugar.
- Spread half of the batter in a well-greased 10” tube pan with a removable bottom. Top with apple slices; sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Top with remaining batter, then with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Lift cake with removable bottom from pan. Cool completely. Before serving, carefully lift cake from pan bottom.