What’s the surprise ingredient between our layers of lasagna noodles? Seasoned mashed potatoes! Our hearty Pierogi Lasagna, topped with zesty Cheddar cheese, is a must-have for your vegetarian lasagna recipe collection.
What You’ll Need:
12 lasagna noodles
1 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 onions, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add salt to onions and saute 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; reserve 1/2 cup sauteed onions for topping. Add remaining onions, pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.
4. Place 3 noodles on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top). Top with remaining sauteed onions.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Note: Feel free to add some cooked sliced mushrooms to the potatoes, or maybe a cup of well-drained sauerkraut. And season your mashed potatoes however you like them…salt, pepper, and butter work fine!
© 2015 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.