HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – A York company is facing a $490,000 penalty for exposing its workers to asbestos.
First Capital Insulation Inc. failed to properly protect three workers who were removing thermal pipe insulation from an unoccupied residence in Harrisburg, the U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration said Thursday.
OSHA requires employers to treat thermal system insulation and surfacing material found in buildings built before and in 1980 as asbestos unless they can prove it is asbestos-free.
The Harrisburg house was built in 1928, but OSHA inspectors said First Capital made no attempt to test the removed materials.
The company was cited for seven willful violations.
OSHA inspectors said the company not only allowed workers to remove asbestos improperly, but failed to make sure their respirators fit correctly and did not decontaminate employees and their clothing before they left the work site.
Asbestos exposure has been linked to chronic lung disease and cancer.