Every week 180 tons of paper goes through the Harrisburg Waste Paper Company. It is shipped, sorted, cleaned, then bailed and recycled into something new.
The Harrisburg Waste Paper Company has been operating for more than 100 years, which is why Dauphin County Commissioners came for a tour. So they could better understand the recycling process.
Commissioners learned that 40% of office paper still ends up in landfills. Commissioner Mike Pries wants to lower that number. He says, “We should have 100% of it recycled.”
When used office paper is recycled, pollution is reduced by 95%. A small example of the big impact recycling can have.
County commissioners want to make recycling easy for residents, so there are several drop-off sites throughout the county.
Newspaper and cardboard recycling centers are located here:
- Conewago Township Municipal Building: 3279 Old Hershey Road – Elizabethtown
- Gratz Borough Community Center: 125 North Center Street – Gratz
- Halifax Borough (by Deppen Park): Route 225, 1/4 mile outside borough
- Harrisburg City: Uptown Shopping Plaza parking lot (7th St. & Division St.)
- Highspire Borough: Lumber & Broad Street (behind mini-mall)
- Lykens Borough: Boxers Parking Lot
- Millersburg Borough: Front Street and Keystone Road
- Washington Township/Elizabethville Borough: Lykens Valley Plaza, parking lot
- Williamstown Borough/Williams Township
- Williamstown Borough Municipal Building
Take used electronics at any of these six sites:
- Dauphin County Recycling Center, 1620 S. 19th St., Harrisburg, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.,
- Derry Township Recycling Center, 650 Clearwater Road, Monday and Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.,
- East Hanover Township, 8848 Jonestown Road, Grantville, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and
- West Hanover Township, 402 North Fairville Ave., Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Williams Township building, 1 Orange Street, Williamstown, every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Upper Paxton Township office, 506 Berrysburg Rd., Millersburg, the 2nd Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.