Middle Paxton Township home “complete loss” after fire

Nancy Longacre was enjoying a windy Sunday in her Dauphin County home until 2 p.m.

“I heard an explosion,” Nancy recalls. She looked out her window to see her neighbor’s house go up in flames.

Five people lived in the house on the 500 block of River Road, but none were home.

Nancy says she called the fire department and within minutes, crews were on scene.

Firefighters faced wind and water problems while battling the fire. “Water supply is always an issue up here. Any place in the township is a tough go with water,” Dauphin Fire Chief Michael Fagan explains. “The wind was definitely a challenge for us and it fueled the fire.”

In fact, the wind may be to blame for the fire that completely destroyed the home.

Neighbors noted a smoldering burn barrel in the back of the house, which is where Chief Fagan says the fire started. “The fire itself, I believe, started on the outside of the structure and with the wind conditions it pushed it inside,” Chief Fagan explained.

On Monday Chief Fagan will work with the State Police Fire Marshall to determine the exact cause of the fire, but says the cause was accidental and not suspicious.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced family. A online fundraiser has also been set up, click here to donate.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s