It’s sort of a soup and sort of a stew. Lisa Schlager from Nani’s Cucina at the West Shore Farmer’s Market shares her recipe for My Nani’s Italian Zuppa.
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
– 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
– 1 Tbsp. oregano
– Pinch (or 2) red pepper flakes (Optional)
– 2 cups chopped potatoes
– 2 cups chopped onions
– 2 cups chopped celery
– 2 cups chopped zucchini
– 3 cups chopped tomatoes. (any kind will do, fresh or canned)
– 4 cups water
– 2 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Optional ingredients: Add your favorite beans (like Cannellini) or diced meat of choice for a protein kick.
Heat EVOO in a stockpot on medium heat. Add chopped garlic and cook for one minute. Add potatoes, onions and celery. Toss in a bit of salt. Cook all for five minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and water. Bring all to a rolling boil for 10 minutes. Lower and simmer for about five more minutes or until done. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Mangia!