You can make 2015 a healthy new year for your entire family.
Here are tips from Sarah Glunz, MS, CNS, LDN – an in-store nutritionist from GIANT Food Stores.
Incorporating more fruits and veggies into family members’ diets:
· Make produce part of every meal and snack.
· Use frozen, canned, or dried when your favorites are out-of-season.
· Have kids pick one new fruit or veggie per week.
· Serve that new item at least three different ways that week.
· Try produce in new ways such as frozen bananas in smoothies or baked apple slices.
· Add fruits and veggies to dishes your family already loves – pureed butternut squash in macaroni and cheese or spinach in omelets.
Getting quick, balanced dinners on the table:
· Involve the whole family in making a weekly plan.
· Aim to sit-down as a family at least twice a week.
· Make leftovers part of your plan.
· Prep when you have the time, not at 5pm on a weeknight!
· Reduce prep with cut-up fresh veggies or frozen veggie blends for stir-fry or soup.
· Use your slow cooker.
· Always have quick options on-hand such as canned tuna, frozen chicken burgers, and eggs.