Court papers: Father went days without checking on son

A Harrisburg man jailed in the death of his 9-year-old son told police he hadn’t checked on the mentally disabled boy for days.

Jarrod N. Tutko Sr. admitted to investigators that he last checked on the boy Sunday, July 27 between 5:30 and 5 p.m., but said he didn’t look in on his son again until Tuesday, July 29 when he found the child deceased, according to the criminal complaint released Thursday.

Tutko, 38, was charged last week with endangering the welfare of children, concealing the death of a child, and abuse of a corpse. He remains in Dauphin County Prison on $500,000 cash bail.

The complaint further states that Tutko wrapped the boy in a cloth and placed him on the floor of a second-floor bathroom after his wife called 911 and before police arrived at the family’s home at 2119 Green Street Friday night.

He said he moved the body so that police and medical personnel would not have to go Junior’s third-floor bedroom.

Police in the court document said the boy’s bedroom had fecal matter “all over everything,” including the inside door knob, light switch and television, and had a strong, foul odor of decomposition.

An autopsy this week did not determine how Junior died. Dauphin County Coroner Graham Hetrick has ordered additional testing to determine the cause and manner of death.

The boy’s mother, Kimberly Tutko, told police she smelled a foul odor Friday night and thought it was dead mice. She said she pulled up carpeting on the second floor, looked behind the beds and found a few dead mice, and her husband walked to a store to buy moth balls, bleach and food, the complaint states.

Mrs. Tutko said her husband crushed and spread moth balls around the master bedroom, and when the smell did not go away and she could not find the source she asked him if their son was OK. She said it was then that he told her Junior had been dead for a few days, according to the complaint.

Mr. Tutko told police he did not know how to tell his wife that the boy had died, so he did not say anything.

He also admitted he bought the moth balls and the bleach to hide the odor, the complaint states.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s