Electrical problem sparks fire in Columbia

(Image 1)

Crews responded to a fire call on N. Third Street in Columbia shortly after 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Officials say a three story home caught fire but because of an electrical problem in a second floor air condition unit.

John Wakefield lives across the street. He was on his front porch when he noticed smoke and flames. “I was on the porch smoking a cigarette and drinking coffee, and I looked over and saw the smoke coming out,” said Wakefield, “I saw the fire where the air condition unit was, and I told my daughter to call 911.”

One person was inside the rental property that has six units. That person and a few dogs made it outside safely.

The Red Cross is providing assistance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s