This is an amazingly versatile dish. It can be used as an entree or an appetizer all year long! You can use little mushrooms or big. You can use the crab mixture to make little crab cakes without the Portobello, too! It's healthy, yet hearty, and always a customer favorite at Nani's Cucina in the West Shore Farmer's Market.
6 Portobello mushrooms, stem removed
1 can lump crab meat (your favorite brand)
1 cup diced peppers
2 cups loosely packed & crumbled corn bread
1 lemon, zested
1 Tbsp. of the following ingredients: hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chopped fresh garlic or granulated garlic, fresh chopped parsley
For the topping:
1 cup of your favorite cheese, shredded;
4 Tbsp. of fresh chopped parsley
1. Clean and prep mushrooms by wiping with damp paper towel to get any residuals off. Remove stem. Set aside until ready to use.
2. Mix the shredded cheese and parsley in a Ziploc baggie. Close and shake until all is mixed. Set aside until ready to assemble mushroom.
3. Mix all of the ingredients together by hand. Zest the entire lemon and use zest and the juice if you like a “lemony” touch. Hold mushroom in one hand, grab a handful of the crab mixture and stuff the mushroom. Pack it in so the mushroom holds the crab mixture in place.
4. Take the cheese mixture and top the mushroom with as much or as little as you like. Firmly press down.
5. Bake or grill at 375 F for 10-15 minutes. You'll know when it's done when you like the consistency of your mushroom, be that firm or a little flatter. Now it's ready to mangia!!