Unattended candle causes fire that displaces 10

Fire officials say an unattended candle caused an apartment fire in Lancaster Township that displaced 10 people.

Firefighters were called to the Wheatland Arms Apartments just before 10 p.m. Friday night for a fire in a third-floor residence.

Officials said a candle lit nearby curtains, which then spread through the rest of the apartment.

According to investigators, the fire caused extensive smoke damage throughout the third floor hallway and apartments, as well as smoke and water damage to third- and second-floor apartments.

One person was taken to the hospital for treatment.

The Red Cross is assisting 10 people who were displaced. Officials estimate damage at nearly $400,000.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s