Harrisburg residents will have to move their cars from snow emergency routes because of the winter storm that is threatening to drop up to a foot of snow on the city.
Mayor Eric Papenfuse has declared a snow emergency, effective at midnight.
Residents can park without charge at the Locust Street Garage. Free parking is also available on City Island, the Fire Museum at 1824 N. 4th Street, and at the Farm Show Complex.
Papenfuse is also urging people to voluntarily move cars parked on Penn, Allison and Zarker streets to facilitate plowing, salting and access by emergency vehicles.
To qualify for free parking in the Locust Street Garage, drivers will need proper ID or documentation. Residents may enter the garage from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday to qualify for free parking.
To gain access to the garage, residents will pull a ticket at the entrance. To exit, residents will need to show a driver's license with a Harrisburg address or proof of residency.
Unless further notice is given, all residents will need to exit the Locust Street Garage by 6:30 a.m. Friday to avoid being charged for parking. Residents wishing to park their cars after 10 p.m. Wednesday should chose City Island, the Fire Museum or the Farm Show.
Cars must be removed from the Farm Show parking lot by 6:30 a.m. Friday.
If poor conditions persist, free parking times may be extended.
On Thursday, Standard Parking will restrict their ticketing to cars parked on snow emergency routes.
Snow emergency routes in Harrisburg are:
– Division Street between Front Street and 7th Street;
– Second Street between Paxton Street and Division Street;
– Maclay Street between Front Street and 7th Street;
– Seventh Street between Division Street and Fisher Plaza (Fisher Plaza is between Forster and Walnut Streets at the Capitol Complex);
– Walnut Street between Fisher Plaza and Front Street;
– Paxton Street from Cameron to City Line at Swatara Township;
– Derry Street from Mulberry Street Bridge to City Line at Paxtang;
– Market Street between Cameron Street and 25th Street;
– State Street from Fisher Plaza to City Line at Susquehanna Township;
– Herr Street from Cameron Street to City Line at Susquehanna Township;
– 17th Street between Sycamore Street and Arsenal Blvd; and
– 13th Street between State Street to Paxton Street.