This is a classic version of Tomato Pie. Feel free to add your own ingredients to make it your own! The Focaccia can be prepped the night before and topped a few hours prior to serving. It's so versatile and can be the main part of dinner, a great lunch with a salad, and is simply awesome for parties, socials and banquets.
Courtesy of Lisa Schlager of Nani's Cucina at the West Shore Farmer's Market
Serves 10-15, depending on your slices
1 Focaccia Bread (size of a Baking Sheet)
3 cups Marinara sauce
1 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese (Or Your Favorite Cheese, Shredded or Grated)
2 Tbsp. fresh basil and fresh parsley (to top the pie)
Fresh Tomato Topping: (best if made a few days in advance)
4 cups diced tomatoes (approx 4-6 tomatoes) cored, seeded and drained; little pieces.
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar (more if you love vinegar!)
2 Tbsp. oregano (or Italian seasoning if you prefer)
1 Tbsp. fresh chopped garlic
2 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. freshly chopped basil
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt and pepper (or to your liking)
2 Tbsp. your favorite Italian dressing (I like Ken's)
(Optional Ingredients: 1 cup chopped olives, 1 cup small diced celery)
Adjust for your taste. You may need to add more basil, sugar, vinegar, etc. Let topping sit for a few hours so flavors meld together in a bowl at room temperature (or make up to four days ahead, cover tightly and keep in refrigerator to hold).
1. Top Focaccia bread with a light amount of Marinara sauce.
2. Add one cup shredded cheese of your choice all over top of Marinara Sauce.
3. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375 F.
4. Remove from oven and cool.
– You may cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. If you are ready to top it, let it cool first and proceed as directed below.
– You may pre-score (cut through part of) the Focaccia so it's easier to slice once the toppings are all on it.
5. Once Focaccia is cool, spread a good “hearty” layer of Marinara sauce all over to completely cover.
6. Take fresh tomato topping and spread all over Marinara. Top with a sprinkle of fresh basil and parsley, extra grated cheese and celery if you'd like for some crunch.
7. Slice pie and serve at room temperature. Mangia!