Impress your barbecue guests when you whip up Spicy Grilled Salmon with Mango, Radish, and Lime Salsa and Sweet Potato Purée from Chef John Reis of Hilton Harrisburg.
2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
1 red onion, chopped
6 red radishes, chopped,
2 limes, peeled and cut into segments
1 handful fresh cilantro leaves
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons whole cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
8 3-ounce salmon fillets
2 cups sweet potato purée (directions follow)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put all salsa ingredients into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped or chop by hand. set aside.
2. Heat the grill to medium high.
3. Drizzle some olive oil over the salmon and season it with salt and pepper. Gently rub 2 tablespoons of the spice mix into the salmon.
4. Pour some olive oil onto a paper towel and rub the grill with it – this will help to prevent the fish from sticking.
5. Grill the salmon flesh side down for about 5-8 minutes. Turn salmon over and grill for another 3 minutes.
6. To serve, place two small scoops sweet potato puree on plate. Place salmon, skin side down on top. Drizzle with the some avocado oil or olive oil.
Sweet Potato Puree
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons sea salt, plus more for seasoning
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 pinch grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 sweet potatoes
2 tablespoon butter
1 lemon, juiced
1. In a medium saucepan add chicken stock, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons sea salt, 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, and almond extract. Stir mixture and bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, peel sweet potatoes and cut into medium-sized cubes. Add to the chicken stock and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until soft.
3. Once potatoes are soft, place potatoes in a food processor. Reserve the liquid and set aside. Add butter and lemon juice and blend until smooth. If too dry, add reserved potato liquid. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.