If you're wild for Tex-Mex, you'll love this recipe for Guacamole and Chips for Two from Channels Food Rescue.
Portions size: 4 oz.
2 oz. Chopped sweet onion
1 tsp. Minced fresh garlic
2 tsp. Minced Serrano chile
Kosher salt to taste
10 oz. whole. firm-ripe Western avocado, cold
2 oz. Vine-ripe tomato, small dice
2 Tbsp. Chopped cilantro
1 leaf Green leaf lettuce
4 oz. Plain tortilla chips
Note: For large-quantity preparation of guacamole, the mashed onion, garlic, and chiles may be prepared up to an hour ahead and refrigerated. The avocado may be diced and tossed with lime juice hour ahead and refrigerated. Combine and finish at the last minute.
1. Combine the onion, garlic, chile, and salt in a mortar or shallow bowl. Mash with a pestle or the back of a spoon in order to release the juices.
2. Peel and dice the avocado. Add the avocado dice to the mortar.
3. Squeeze some lime juice over the avocado. Use a fork to lightly mash the avocado and combine it with the onion mixture. Do not over-mash or over-mix.
4. Stir in the tomato and half the cilantro.
5. Taste and correct the salt-lime balance.
6. Place the lettuce leaf on the front center of a cool 12-inch (30-cm) plate.
7. Mound the guacamole on the leaf and sprinkle it with the remaining cilantro. Place the lime wedge beside the guacamole.
8. Arrange the chips in an arc behind the guacamole.