If you're wild for Tex-Mex, you'll love this recipe for Green Salsa from Channels Food Rescue.
Yield: 8 fl. oz.
5 oz. husked and washed tomatillos
1/2oz. minced serrano chiles
2 oz. chopped white onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
salt to taste
1 oz. husked, washed, and chopped tomatillo
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
sugar to taste
1. Poach 5 oz. tomatillos in barely simmering water for 6 to 8 minutes until they are soft and olive green in color. Refresh in ice water.
2. Drain the tomatillos well and purée them in a blender or food processor.
3. Place the chiles, onion, garlic and salt in a mortar or small stainless steel bowl. Using a pestle or the end of a French rolling pin, pound the vegetables until they are thoroughly mashed.
4. Add the chopped raw tomatillo and pound lightly to release the juices.
5. Stir in the puréed tomatillo and the cilantro.
6. Correct the salt and balance with sugar, if necessary.
Holding: Refrigerate in a freshly-sanitized, covered container up to 3 days.