Enjoy this recipe for Blueberry Vanilla Lactose-Free Custard Parfait with Gingersnap Crumbles
Recipe courtesy of Carlene Thomas, R.D.
Fresh blueberries or fruit
of your choice
Gingersnap cookies, crumbled
¼ cups sugar
2½ tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups 1% lactose-free milk
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare an ice bath: Nest two bowls in each other by partially filling the bottom bowl with ice and adding the smaller bowl on top. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, separate two eggs, keeping the yolk in the bowl. Reserve the egg whites for another recipe.
3. On the stove in a medium pot, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the lactose-free milk and stir. Turn on the stove to medium heat; continue to stir. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot frequently so the custard does not burn.
4. Once the custard begins to bubble, take the pot off the heat. While briskly whisking the egg yolks, ladle a spoonful of the warm custard into the dish with the egg yolks. Whisk to combine and temper the eggs. Add a second spoonful of custard and stir to combine. Then, while stirring the pot of custard, pour the egg yolk mix back into the pot with the rest of the custard. Place the pot back on medium heat for two to three minutes; continue to stir as the custard thickens.
5. Remove the custard from the heat and pour into the dish in the ice bath. Set aside to cool.
6. Layer crushed gingersnaps, custard and blueberries (in any order) in the serving containers. Garnish, if desired, with mint leaves. Enjoy!
For more recipes, visit http://dairyspot.com/lovers