Spice up your Super Bowl party or any other gathering of family and friends with this Chicken Chili dish from Chef John Reis of Hilton Harrisburg.
4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
1/8 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken
1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves)
2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 can Red Kidney beans
1 can white beans
1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
4 boneless chicken breasts, small dice
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the diced chicken in a pot with the oil and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. When done remove and set to the side. To same pot, add the onions and sauté at low heat for 10 minutes, until translucent.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the tomatoes, beans. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the diced cooked chicken and the basil to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 10 minutes.
7. Serve with toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream or fried corn chips.