Officials: Dozens sick from carbon monoxide at York Co. Prison


Nearly 50 women at the York County Prison are recovering after being exposed to Carbon Monoxide. It appears the leak was caused by a problem with the heating and ventilation system.

Dozens of ambulances were called to the prison just after 11:00 Wednesday night. We're told female inmates started getting sick in the gym. 38 of them were taken to York Hospital to be treated. A spokesperson there says York City Police provided extra security while the inmates were there, and they didn't have any problems.

Most of the women who were sent to the hospital are now back at the prison. York County says the ventilation system has been shut down, and the carbon monoxide levels are back to normal.

York County Commissioner Doug Hoke, who is president of the prison board, says he plans to meet with the warden and the ventilation company on Friday to figure out what went wrong, and to discuss the possibility of installing carbon monoxide detectors.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s