Your favorite cheese and deli-style meat team up to make what's sure to be a grilling favorite when you use this recipe from Nani's Cucina in the West Shore Farmer's Market.
What You'll Need:
12 slices each of your favorite deli-style meats (Mortadella Ham, Taylor Pork Roll, Roast Beef, Olive Loaf, Italian Speck) NOTE: ask your deli person to slice the meats thick enough so that they hold up on the grill and can make little “burrito-type” packets. A little thicker than sandwich slices is a good reference point.
Cheeses: Ricotta, Talleggio, Robiola, Cooper Cheese, Cheddar. (Use your favorite cheeses. You'll only need a little dollop on each slice of meat.)
Roasted Tomatoes/Red Peppers(if desired)
Tongs & Spatula
1. Preheat grill on high for 10-15 minutes. Make sure your grill is clean so the meats don't stick. Get a big rag and saturate it with olive oil or vegetable oil and rub it generously on the clean/brushed grill grates.
2. Have the cheeses and meats in an assembly line-up. Lower heat to medium-medium high. Place meats on grill and let cook for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Turn meats when they have nice grill marks. Add your choice of cheese. Just a little dollop so it doesn't ooze out. If you are adding roasted tomatoes, roasted red peppers, add it now on top of the cheese.
4. Close your meat “packets” in half and then half again. Press with spatula for about 10 seconds and flip to “char” the other side.
5. Remove to platter when done. Best served right off of the grill or room temperature. Can hold in refrigerator in covered containers for one day prior.