This hearty south of the border beefy Tamale Casserole made with an easy cornmeal crust is simply out of this world.
Cooking Time: 55 min
2 pounds ground chuck
1 large onion, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups milk
2 cups cornmeal
1 (14.5-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (6-ounce can) pitted black olives, drained
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet over high heat, cook ground chuck and onion until browned. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix milk with cornmeal and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened. Line bottom and sides of prepared casserole dish with cooked cornmeal.
4. Stir corn and olives into meat mixture and spoon into casserole dish.
5. Bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and cook 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and meat is heated through.
This recipe has been adapted from Beyond Delicious: The Ghost Whisperer's Cookbook.
© 2011 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.