Why is this one of our favorite chicken soups? Maybe because of the homemade dumplings that are swimming in it. Chicken and Dumplings is a hearty soup that you can enjoy as a meal-starter or a main dish.
* 3 celery stalks, sliced
* 2 carrots, sliced
* 8 cups chicken broth
* 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 2 cups biscuit baking mix
* 2/3 cup milk
* 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1. Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add celery and carrots, and sauté 6 minutes, or until tender. Stir in broth, poultry seasoning, and pepper; bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, stir together biscuit mix and milk until blended. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; roll or pat dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 1″ x 3″ strips.
3. Drop strips, one at a time, into boiling broth; stir in chicken. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Note: You can lighten up this Southern classic without sacrificing taste. Substitute low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, reduced-fat biscuit baking mix, and fat-free milk for their regular counterparts.
© 2010 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated. All rights reserved.